2016 Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Policies for Ages Under 65
Check with plan providers for current premiums
Medigap (Supplement) policies are private insurance policies designed to pay the portion of covered medical costs that Medicare does not pay—that is, the deductibles and coinsurance for Parts A and B of Original Medicare. Medicare pays its share of the Medicare-approved amount, then your Medigap policy pays its share.
- Different Medigap plans are offered, designated by letters (A-N), but all plans with the same letter designation offer the same coverage. Some plans will pay all the deductibles and co-insurance.
- You must have both Medicare Parts A and B to purchase a Medigap plan.
- Medigap policies will not pay for medical costs that are not covered by Medicare, although some policies add limited foreign emergency travel coverage.
- Medigap policies do not include prescription drug coverage, so members should also enroll in a Stand-Alone Prescription Drug Plan (PDP). Click here for more information about Stand-Alone Prescription Drug Plans.
- Note: All physicians, physician groups, labs, and hospitals that accept Medicare patients also accept all Medigap policies. With a Medigap policy you use both your Medicare card and your Medigap card. There are no networks, and prior approval is not required, as long as the provider accepts Medicare.
There are separate Medigap policies for those 65 and older and those who are under 65 and are eligible to purchase a Medigap policy. Although Medigap policies are available to individuals on Medicare who are under 65, fewer policies are offered, and the premiums are higher than for persons over 65. Further, for someone under 65 the right to purchase a Medigap ends after the first six months of eligibility for Medicare. At 65 you will have a new open enrollment period and can purchase any Medigap plan, with lower rates.
Following is the chart for under 65 and on Medicare due to disability.
Click here to go to a printable version of the following chart.
Use this link to download Adobe Reader if needed.